Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Whodathunk it? Match.com!

I am so happy to have Ray back home.  He was only gone 3 nights, and I did  enjoy the space.  But it  also gave  me a taste of what living up here without him would be like.  I missed him!  That's a good thing. 

I think about how lucky (wait, Christians don't do luck...) ok, how blessed I am to have found him at all.  Its been 7 years now and we met, of all places, on Match.com.  Do you know how many fraking toads there are out there??  And the fact that he was on Match at all proves it was fate.  He is quite simply not the type and a work friend signed him up without his knowledge. 

We finally met after 3 months (YES, 3!) of on and off contact.  I was always busy when he proposed meeting; he gave up on  me several times in spite of my coming up as his 1st match and best fit.  I remember at one point he asked me why I was even on match as I was so apparently not making much of an  effort.  I also remember replying (a bit indignantly!)  'cos I want to meet  somebody!   I think we first "met" (cyber meeting) in November 2004...and our 1st date was St. Patricks Day 2005.  Now if you are from Boston, you know this is no a small holiday.  Everyone goes absoltuely freaking crazy, I'm not Irish, plus green is not my color!  My response to his asking me on a date for St. Paddy's was "I don't do green beer"...I was just being honest!  He still pursued and said he had ballet tickets.  Hmmm....the FRAP thought (that's French American Princess, a name given to me by my best (?) male buddy and former boss)....ballet tickets, not bad...so it all started. 

I had a good evening that 1st date...when my best guy friend asked me about it the next day I was picking the whole date apart (duh!) and said something like he seems nice, tall, great eyes...nice hands...polite...nice teeth and Dick says in frustration "you're not buying a f'ing horse!"...  This just goes to show how skeptical I was and while not exactly blase, pretty close.  Ray followed up with an invitation for a 2nd date, which was to be the Chocolate Tour on a  spring Saturday morning in Boston.  This was a blast and I probably 'saw' him for the 1st time that afternoon, with clear eyes, not my jaded they're all jerks glasses.  We even foregoed the bus tour and walked to the destinations. 

He continued to surprise me...with his interest in life and life around him.  He was thoughtful...he found different things for us to do.  And he's still like that!!  Soon to start our 8th year together, he still has that youthful interest and spontaneity ... and he loves me, Dear God...he truly does.  I can trust him.  (Though I hope this doesn't backfire like Sandra Bullocks tribute at the Oscars a few years ago...as soon as she thanked her husband for having her back, we find out he's been with the 1st Skank Lady of America!).  He is my best friend and mate...we have made a life together in spite of all odds...meeting on Match and being over 50!  And it works.  I'm happy.  I thank God for my blessings.

So if anyone following these rantings called a blog are single, of a certain age, and thinking there's just no one out there...there is!  You have to keep looking and believing and it happens.  I think it happens when you're happy, doing what you love. Though in my case, I almost didn't meet him because I was so busy doing all the things I loved!  The point is, you have to make an effort.  You have to reach out as well.  And yes, I'm sorry, you do have to date a few toads.  Its a process!!  Do not get discouraged...

2 comments:

  1. I thought I had posted a comment here before--guess it didn't go thru. Good post--love takes effort and isn't always wine and roses. It's important to love ourselves too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree. And thanks. But you must be referring to "the gym friend" blog?

    ReplyDelete