Total Pageviews

Monday, February 6, 2012

The Sexes

I never liked the book Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. I think we, men and women, have enough differences and obstacles to overcome without adding a sensationalized money maker to the list. I prefer to find common ground, areas where we compliment each other. Yet, I have to admit, sometimes the different perspectives are so much in my face I want to run, screaming in defeat and hormonally charged, to the other side!

All this to say I miss my girlfriends. Big time. You just can't confide, have a lengthy heart to heart with your mate. Its takes us girls time...time and repetition and affirmation to get it.  Well, not get it, but feel like we're comfortable with the conclusion.  Seriously, we can talk about the same subject giving different views for hours. Men? Everything is black and white...and short! Please don't take longer than the commercial break! But I need to beat it to death...look at it from every possible angle, play it forwards and then backwards. Am I right??

And we love details. Its the little things. Guys? They don't notice details! Or intonation, or eye and/or body language, all those clues they don't even know exist let alone notice them.  Haven't you been in a room, next to him, and its time to go. So you shift your eyes, pointing to the door with your eyes, indicating its time to leave. And you get a completely blank stare back. Clueless! He's just as liable to ask, out loud, "what?"... Or, have you ever tried a light tap under the table when a subject has gone on long enough? Still clueless.

How can that be?? They go to college, get good paying jobs, earn a good living...and can't take a hint about anything. You have to hit them with it, loud, clear, direct. So ladies this applies to everything with your honey. Don't leave a thing to chance, don't hint, don't leave clues. He won't get it! Spell it out. Or forever hold your grudge!! And be very very specific!

I think not being able to find anything in the fridge is also a male trait.  How many minutes do you have to have the refrigerator door open, most of your body stuck inside the freaking thing, to find the mustard??  Its always in the door!  The big yellow bottle?? Or how about being asked how so 'n so is when not 5 minutes ago you told him you'd just heard from her?  And the ultimate insult?  I do listen, but you talk all the time!!

I hope you all realize this is said in jest. Mostly.  Poking fun of our differences is just that:  fun!  I mean, he pokes fun of me, how many times I change outfits when I'm only going to the Home where my Mom is.  He really had a hay day when we were preparing for a month in Bermuda...I tried to tell him its normal to try stuff on, put it in the suitcase, change your mind and remove it...then try it on again days later.  He even had a term for it:  Pretend Packing!  And its normal to end up with more stuff than I wore...but I was prepared!  My footwear and skincare alone required a good sized suitcase.  He had flipflops, docksiders, and sneakers!   (He did appreciate the fact that I now have an ipad and he's not schlepping a 5 lb. new release hardback around from beach to beach like the year we were in Jamaica! I'd been saving that book for beach reading!!)

And if the auto industry wants to pump life back into a dying city?  Invent a car with different thermostat controls, one for the drivers' side and one for the passengers! (I know some cars have it but its not real efficient yet.)   I'm wrapped in layers normally designated to outdoor  winter activities, and he's in a t-shirt.  I'm still freezing.  (Although its the opposite with my brother...his wife keeps the bedroom window open all winter!  He claims he draws the line at brushing snow off his shoulder whilst in bed...)

How about when you spend hours prepping a meal, a new recipe...you serve the man, he eats and eats...and finally you say well?  do you like it?  You couldn't just tell me after the first taste??? 

Now a girlfriend get all of the above effortlessly!!

Just to be clear, I'm not dissing.  I'm just amazed at how differently we function.  And that we are able to live together at all!  So....vivre la difference!  You can't change it...so go with the flow!  Humor helps.  And that little thing called love too!  (And no Sweetie....I'm not picking on you!!!)















1 comment:

  1. Hahhahaha!! Very good--SO true. I love the lost in the fridge part. Men seem to have trouble finding stuff, don't they? And yes, I agree, we women have our habits too. Learning to live with differences is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete