Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Its a Wonderful Life!

I am so happy with my life lately I sometimes think uh oh....whats going to happen next to spoil this.  I wonder why we do that, accept the black clouds as normal, yet question happiness as if we're not deserving.  It must be my Catholic upbringing!

Like I've written previously, it hasn't been an easy road to this.  Leaving Boston, my home of 30 years, and relocating to Quebec  was never in my wildest plans.  I liked my life, the pace, my beautiful home in Andover.  I still miss it.  But I am acclimating to this town in the Eastern Townships of Quebec, a 4 season resort on Lake Memphremagog.  If I had to move to Quebec, at least this is a gorgeous town...very European with its Bistros, Patisseries, Boulangeries...the Lake front area reminds me of the Esplanade...a place to ice skate, walk, blade, bike, or just sit.  When skiing in winter, I look down on the  Lake and wish for summer.  Naturally, in summer I look up at the Mountain and wish I were skiing.  Ah...the ficklness of being human!

I'm making friends too.  And for those of you who have not relocated recently, this takes time!!  Its different if one is working, there are always lets go out for a drink after work outings going on.  But being retired...everyone has their friends and their lives.  It was a very solitary couple of years.  But that's changing.  People retire younger here; its not uncommon to retire in your mid-fifties, or early sixties.  I remember this from my years in the Dominican...how Europeans & Canadians would be retired so young.  I digress...so the women at my gym are not working, and I finally have girlfriends again.  If this were like Florida, everyone would be transcient if you will,. thus its alot easier to make friends.  What's nice is we are all in the same place...with similar tastes...we are all physically fit, outdoor and physical activies are very important to us...as are manicures, pedicures, facials, and shopping!!  I dare dream:  will my phone ring again??  Maybe I'll even have to invest in a Quebec  cell!!

No one will ever replace my lifelong women friends...you know who you are...but I'm happy today that I, that we, have carved out a life for ourselves here and are able to look after my Mom.  Sometimes I feel my dad's presence...and I know he would be pleased.  And I am humbled yet again at how God has a plan, and if you listen and trust it, your life can only get better.  It gives let go and let God true meaning (but this is not license to do nothing and think you will be rewarded!) and reinforces my belief that everything happens for a reason.

So I'm happy, completely happy...and want to take a picture of this early Spring day where temps will be almost 80 and save it for a rainy day, a day when things do not seem so bright, to remind me that life is good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment