Total Pageviews

Friday, March 30, 2012

Living in the Moment

I know this is what we're supposed to do...live in the moment, today's a gift, all that.  But these days I'm finding it extremely difficult to not want to push the fast  forward button on the  remote of my life!  Its the weather!!  I can't take it any more....cold, snow flurries, boots and coats for Pete's sake.  Enough already.

What happened for those of you living on the moon (or no where near the frozen North East) is that we had a taste of summer last week.  Temps in the 70's and 80's.  Out came the flip flops, the capris, windows and patio doors were opened; people were smiling at each other!! Imagine...in March!  We all know better.  This was a fluke, summer in March does not exist.  Yet I couldn't put my winter sweaters away fast enough (yes, I've been freezing since in my cotton  light weight stuff) and the only logical emotion after this "tease" is da blues.

So I have to ask myself, why do I live in the frozen north??  Well, to care for my Mom, number 1.  But after that??  Do we really love to ski that much?  One can take a ski trip, but live in summer!!  Wouldn't it great to spontaneously leave one's home and not have to hunt down boots, parkas, hats, gloves, scarves....you know, just slip on a pair of flip flops.  So you have to keep your legs shaved.  I can do that.  So you can't let that winter "5 pound" gain show up.  I can do that too!!  Imagine being able to take your dog  out without freezing, all the while cursing his endless circling to find the perfect spot??

Where do we want to live when we grow up?  That's the question.  I'm fairly certain I want to live in the US; not a third world country or island, even if one is in a gated compound.  I am uncomfortable with that, seeing poverty and tent cities all around you, while you live in what the locals consider a mansion with your American dollars.  (Which maybe don't buy or rent mansions any longer...hmmmm....)  So you end up backing into South Florida...or Florida.  I tend to favor South Florida vs. the west coast; just chalk that up to personal preference.  I've spent enough time in the Caribbean to know I like the perks of state side living...being able to go the store and buy what I want, when I want.  Also the world is getting weird...not so safe...maybe its an illusion this feeing safer at home, but I just do. 

My friends are mostly still in the Boston area...but they'll be retiring soon as well.  Will they all stay up north?  Doubtful.  We are the last of the skiers, and we're tempted to give up winter!!  Of  course, I'm just rambling, figuring out options...being up North to ski February and March is ok, when there's snow.  But after that...I've no need for this weather.  I think we'll  figure it out...but for now, how do I fast forward these last couple days so that I can step off that plane into instant summer???

No comments:

Post a Comment